These Mexican fritters are very common at fairs. In my border
hometown, the line at this stand is always overwhelming. People wait
hours in line just to get a taste of these churros. I have run across
several recipes but this is the best one by far. —Delia
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 quarts oil for frying
- 1/2 cup white sugar, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- A small saucepan
- A tablespoon
- A deep-fryer or deep skillet
- A pastry bag
- Paper towels
- A big plate
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine water, 2 1/2
tablespoons sugar, salt and 2 table- spoons vegetable oil. Bring to a
boil and remove from heat. Stir in flour until mixture forms a ball.
- Heat oil for frying in deep-fryer or deep skillet to 375 degrees
F (190 degrees C). Pipe strips of dough into hot oil using a pastry
bag. Fry until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar and cinnamon. Roll drained churros in cinnamon and sugar
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook in: 10 mins
It'll be ready in: 20 mins
Original recipe makes 4 servings.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking.
The exact amount may vary depending on cook time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Retrieved from: All Recipes.com